Friday, April 1, 2011

Special K Diet

This week was all about control. Our family tried to preview the Special K diet, which meant only one "real" meal a day, with the rest of our food intake consisting of cereal, protein bars, and fruits and veggies.

Was the mini-preview successful? Well, perhaps a little. I know that if I kept at it, I'd probably see much better results (in fact, I did this once before and lost three pounds in ten days!). But despite the fact that the scale only moved a tiny notch, I am really glad I did it. For one, it helped me discipline myself. When I say I was pigging out the week before, I was pigging out. No danish from ABP was safe from my sticky fingers, no cupcake from Starbucks failed to entice me. I would eat right after I had just eaten. Go out for drinks with friends and follow it up with greasy college food. It was bad. Both on my health and my budget. And so for five days, the Special K diet kept me from indulging in my sweets, grease, and even the huge serving of Thai food I usually grab for lunch in SoHo. Instead of a danish, I grabbed a banana; instead of pizza, I chomped on a protein bar. As a result, I probably saved about $30, lost 1 pound, and reversed the habit of indulgence that I was quickly falling into. I also reconnected with fruits and veggies... a relationship that college life clearly squashed. All and all, I'd call that winning.

With Love, Carin

No comments:

Post a Comment